Thursday, April 10, 2008

Baby Greens

OK- so I failed to blog yesterday, it was a super busy day and I fell asleep on the couch at 9, moving to the bed after I finished "watching" American Masters about Zora Neale Hurston. Sorry I missed it actually, she was a fascinating person. The last thing I said before completely falling into la la land was " I didn't blog today". Oh well, the good thing about a self-imposed goal is you are the only one that has to live up to it- right?

I'll try to post twice today to make up for it. I did have a plan for yesterday's blog and it was this. One of the main reasons I grow my own vegetables is so I can pick them when they are small. Yesterday I thinned my greens and lettuces. This is a long standing spring ritual for me. They are always too close together so need to be thinned- I wait until they have a little size on them and that way I can eat the thinnings. I'm not talking about "micro" greens here, the silly greens just past being sprouts they are now serving in trendy restaurants. This is more like the mix you pay $6.99 a pound for at the store.

I made a salad mix; four kinds of lettuce and baby arugula. (top picture) and a braising mix ; spinach, tatsoi, turnip greens, red and toscano kale,(bottom picture)


For dinner I browned local pork sweet Italian sausage with mushrooms and onions in olive oil, added the entire bowl full of braising mix, bow tie pasta and an Italian cheese they had on "sale" at Whole Paycheck for $11.99 per pound called Montesio. It is a very tasty cheese, a bit milder and creamier than an asiago and perfect in this dish. We each consumed a giant bowl full of this yummy pasta before passing out in front of the television.

1 comment:

Stew said...

Gorgeous. I'm starving. Ah well. Lunchtime is near.

Thanks for the advice last night. I'd not have thought about planting summer vegetables in a vaguely hodge-podge fashion as the spring ones come out. Brava!