Friday, April 18, 2008

Another day in the garden, backache to prove it

As I was working in the vegetable garden this morning I thought "you should tell your readers it's not all sweetness and light" My backs been aching and I'm overwhelmed most days by all the things I need to get done. All the same- I wouldn't trade any of it.

I stirred up a toad while I weeded and mulched around the Swiss chard I planted last fall, he hid between the rows and I tried not to scare him too much. We've got a little bunny living in the yard too, so far it's only eating clover and chickweed outside the veggie garden, I'm hopeful that the rabbit wire is really small enough that he can't squeeze through.

Call me anal retentive, but it really makes me happy to see the garden beds looking so tidy.

From front to back this is beets, carrots, red and toscano kale, tatsoi, cilantro, radishes, lettuce and peas at the back, you can see some onions on the left and the shed with all our rain buckets in the background.


Wish it would rain, its getting dry again. I stepped my peppers and eggplants up from small to larger pots today, will set them out in a couple of weeks. Next week I'm going to plant tomatoes, yippee, only about 10 weeks now till the first red ripe one.

2 comments:

Carol Henderson said...

Love those rows, Maria, and hope you'll share a fresh, warm tomato or two.

Maria Hitt said...

You know I will