Monday, September 14, 2009

Tiny TICKS!!

Walking to work today I stepped in a nest of seed ticks. They were the tiniest ticks I have ever seen, almost microscopic. But I could feel them crawling up my leg and with a piece of packing tape at the Nursery I managed to trap most of them. I had to work fast to keep them out of my shorts. Once they stopped crawling I thought it was over- but they were in my sock and shoe. After work I took a shower and really scrubbed my feet. I still found at least 10 embedded in my left foot, had to use the lighted magnifying glass to even see them and then remove them with tweezers. Yuck!

I'm ready for the cooler weather to send those nasty rascals to sleep for the winter. My only consolation is imagining that because they are new babies, they haven't fed on anything else yet so hopefully I can't get any diseases from them?

On a lighter note, the nasturtiums love the cooler weather and are putting on a show.

We had this beautiful mix of the first fall greens last night, lightly sauteed with olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar.
The late season cucumbers are getting crazy, no good to eat but fun to look at.

No comments: