Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Goldflame Honeysuckle

Ever since we built this entryway to our garden a couple of years ago, I've been looking for the right vine to grow on it. I didn't want something that would completely take over and cover up the lovely design, like a jasmine for instance.

I finally settled on this Goldflame Honeysuckle, Lonicera x heckrottii that I found at Niche Gardens up the road from us. It's non-invasive and though it's not truly a climber, with help, the vines will eventually make it to the top. In bud it is pinky purple.
And once the flowers open, they are quite showy, almost like a fuscia which cannot be grown around here- it's too hot.

I planted one on each side of the arbor, I can' wait to see the vines cover the top, these gorgeous flowers hanging down. Unfortunately, they are not fragrant like their Japanese cousin.

2 comments:

Drew said...

Goldflame (Lonicera heckrottii) is pretty but quite prone to aphids and flower bud disfigurement. You might want to consider Lonicera sempervirens and its cultivars such as "Major Wheeler" which have a long flowering time but don't seem susceptible to aphids.

Maria Hitt said...

Thanks for that tip Drew- I've not seen any aphids on them yet and have had them since last fall. but I'll keep watching.