Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Garden is Unphased


You would think by late November there would be some evidence of frost damage but in fact, the vegetable garden is untouched.  You can see the frost blanket snaking around through the paths, we've only used it one night so far.  It's positively lush out there yet, even the peppers and nasturtiums are still going strong.


We've still got a couple of main heads of broccoli to cut and the first we cut a few weeks ago are now putting up nice sized side shoots. Truth is we have way too much food out there for 2 people right now.  Beets, carrots, turnips, chard, collards, broccoli, spinach, lettuce.  I get overwhelmed trying to decide what to have for dinner, and when I'm tired- I confess, I don't always eat my veggies because I don't want to deal with picking and washing and cooking them.  On those nights we have soup or  sauce out of the freezer with spaghetti. I shouldn't complain with people out there not having enough to eat, and I'm not complaining really, just telling it like it is.

With Thanksgiving tomorrow I'm looking forward to a nice big traditional meal with family, and not at my house.  I just made my pie crust to chill over night and prepared the lemons for my Ohio lemon pie.  Zest and insides of two lemons combined with 2 cups of sugar and a teaspoon of salt.  Tomorrow I'll add 4 eggs to complete the filling and bake it in a double crust.  Super tart, super sweet and with fresh whipped cream, man it's heaven.  Going to do a pecan pie as well, the only time of year I allow myself that sinful treat. The family counts on me to be the baker for this holiday and I'm happy to oblige, I enjoy making pies but don't do it unless there are lots of people to help eat them, too fattening to have around the house with just the two of us.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because its all about the food, nothing religious to muck it up.  It was my mom's favorite too and I always feel her presence as we tuck into a spread including many of her traditional favorites, best of all the southern style dressing baked in a cast iron skillet and smothered in gravy. 

I can hardly wait.

No comments: