Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Swimming on a Rainy Day

I'm so glad I like swimming, especially on days like today, 46 degrees and rainy. I just got in from a delightful swim at our brand new Homestead Aquatic Center. It is a fantastic facility with two pools, one cooler for laps and one shallow and warmer for kids to play. Everything is new and clean and you can still smell the fresh paint. At one end is a glass wall with a view out into the trees and there are tall skinny windows along another wall. The roof is angled and rests on 6 foot high, blond wooden beams. I had a lane all to myself and swam for almost an hour, what luxury. Afterwards I lolled around in the warm pool for a bit. I missed the steam room and better showers of the YMCA, but now I'm going to have to make a decision about which place I want to hang my towel in the future, the new pool is a little closer to home, the cooler water is far better for lap swimming and the design and light in the space is very appealing.

I've been meaning to post this photo from Saturday of the first flower opening on my Prunus Mume tree, you gotta love something that blooms in January. And I'm also tickled to see these fat buds on the hellebore, they will open soon and be in bloom right into the middle of spring.
I'm so grateful to have things like this in the garden that bring color to grey winter days.

No comments: