Sunday, February 21, 2010

Crocus are up, Onions are in

Nothing says spring quite like the first crocus.  And here they are. 

Today was a stunning warm day, finally, it reached the 60's, seems like it's been almost 2 months since we had a day like this one.  Perfect for getting into the garden and digging in the dirt.  The onions arrived yesterday so that was perfect timing.  I dug the beds and added compost and fertilizer and planted about 15 dozen plants.  I'm trying a Red Marble cippolini this year along with the tried and true yellow onion Candy as well as a couple dozen each of white and red.  I order my plants from Dixondale Farms and they seem to be reliable and reasonably priced.

Along with the onions today I sowed carrots, spinach, beets and turnips.  I put row cover over those to help them along in germination, it's supposed to get pretty cold again later this week.

With the nice weather I've been getting in some long walks and took this photo of one of my favorite trees on the land.  We are fortunate to have lots of old growth beech along our creeks, they are some of my favorite trees and stand like great grandfathers gripping the hillsides with there massive roots reminding me of elephants feet.
Tomorrow starts another hectic week of work and running here and yon, so now, it's off to bed.

No comments: