Wednesday, August 5, 2009

End of the Berries

Last pie o' the season

The berries have been good this year. Especially since I killed all the squirrels. They haven't moved back in either as I thought they would, probably in the fall we'll begin to see some Shorty's again?

We picked blueberries and blackberries for about 6 weeks and there are still a few ripening up. Our line-up starts with O'Neals in mid-June, goes to Climax, then Premier and finally Powder Blue. I just got three new plants of a variety called Delite that are covered with berries so I'm hoping they will extend the blueberry season to 8 weeks next year. I planted those in the ground this morning to fill out a row. All that's left in my berry patch maintenance program is to lay down some mulch. It's looking sharp down there.

No comments: