Monday, March 9, 2009

Some Winter Veggies are Still Alive

I was thinking my faithful readers might be wondering- what happened to all the veggies under the remay tunnel during the cold weather? Well, the broccoli took it on the chin along with the radish greens- but not before I harvested some very nice large radishes which were a bonus I hadn't expected.

The kale, mustard, tatsoi, spinach and lettuce have continued to perk along, not really growing but still edible. The cabbage suffered some frost damage and should probably be harvested and eaten. When we got ready to leave town for 2 weeks we decided to just uncover everything and let it die if it was going to, but things have just kept going. I harvested a half dozen big leeks tonight to make some soup with, there are still carrots in the ground that are sweet as ever, the collards are a bit limp but still edible.

The cilantro is the queen of the winter garden, never happier. Perfect to zip up soups, quesadillas, scrambled eggs, guacamole, chickpea and other salads, I'm glad to have something green to add to things this time of year.

The new spinach and lettuce is tiny, but starting to grow, in another month- I hope to be harvesting some. Got the tomatoes, peppers and eggplants into flats this week, a bit late, but done. Another season rolls around.

No comments: