Saturday, July 24, 2010

Edible Schoolyard

I visited the Greensboro Children's Museum last week to attend a workshop on using the curriculum Project Learning Tree.  I did this as part of my work to earn a certificate in Environmental Education. It was an action-packed day with experienced teachers and I brought home an excellent activity guide filled with nearly 100 classroom ready programs on environmental topics for grades Pre-K to 8 .  An added bonus was getting to check out the newly installed Edible Schoolyard modeled after the original started by Alice Waters in Berkeley, CA.

It's an impressive space full of food.  They have a kitchen and are offering a series of summer camps and will be adding various programs as the year moves on.  They've got chickens, grains of the world,  food crops of the south, an herb garden, fruit trees and berry bushes. 

I was especially impressed with these lush teepees of malabar spinach. 

I'm glad we have this important resource in North Carolina and wish there was something like it right here in Chapel Hill.  Someday perhaps...

No comments: