I decided they must be dug, the plants were dying back and we're getting too far into July. There begins to be a risk of soil born stuff rotting them or making them scabby. I pulled the soil away to discover all of the potatoes were down at the original soil level at the bottom of the bins, I thought the idea was they would make potatoes all the way up the stalk but they didn't, maybe if they had more time to grow. I don't know. But it ended up not too bad in the end, we got 13 pounds from an original pound or two of seed potatoes.
Tonight we roasted all the tiniest babies along side a localy grown fresh chicken and man were they good, you CANNOT buy this stuff, you have to grow it!